Thinking on Thoughts

I used to spend a lot of time thinking, and even do so today. Infact, I believe, I spend more time thinking, than doing anything else. And this is mostly useless noisy chatter. Earlier, in my school days, it used to be day-dreaming. later on, the thinking was more on past events or events to happen in future. I used to think while eating, while driving, while walking, even while talking to someone. Actually, I used to think while doing any routine work which did not need complete utilization of my grey cells. This thinking seemed to have a hold over me. I was quite happy about it as it gave me a proud sense of belonging to an elite intellectual class - "I think, therefore I am" - I thought. I became a self-styled thinker.

But years and years rolled on, I gathered more moss on the way. Some-how I became interested about my thoughts. So I thought about my own thinking - meta-thinking.  I realized that my thinking was not any focussed thinking. I realized that this was not productive and neither did me any good. I found that there is a better word for this and  it is "musing". Well, but my own brain which prided itself on its thinking prowess did not want to accept that word. Thinking was definitely masculine! It thought.

While doing the meta-thinking - thinking about thinking, I realized that there can be a state when one can be thoughtless. One can stop the flow of thought by being in the present moment completely. This is an exalted state, very difficult to achieve and sustain. I also realized that one can observe ones thoughts from where it is originating and how it is leading to another thought.  Some kinds of thoughts gives us great and innovative ideas. They are the creative thoughts. Again, there are ways and means to enhance these kind of thoughts. Apart from these exercises with thought, one can also train ones thought to be focussed. Basically, with practice, one can develop the thought muscles required to think deep and hard on certain things. To rack your brain till it hurts! But why? Why on earth should we dwell so much about what we think and how we think?

It has been said thus: You sow a thought, you reap an emotion, you sow an emotion, you reap a word, you sow a word, you reap an action, you sow an action, you reap a habit, you sow a habit, you reap a character and you sow a character, you reap destiny. Can you now see how thought ultimately shapes our destiny?Our thoughts are the only thing that is completely under our own control. No one else can see or know what we are thinking, unless we choose to make our thoughts public.  So, how effectively we utilize them provides the basic direction and guide to our life.

Happy, positive and enthusiastic thoughts will bring happiness, positivity and enthusiasm to your life! Cheers!